The Chittagong University is situated on 1,754 acres of beautiful hilly land in mauja Fatehpur under hathazari upazila, 22 km north of chittagong city. It was opened on 18 November 1966. Back in 1962, Mr. Mohammad Ferdaus Khan, Deputy Director of Public Instruction of East Pakistan, prepared a preliminary draft plan of Chittagong University. Prior to that the Chittagong University Movement Council was formed in 1961 with Badshah Mia Chowdhury, a distinguished social welfare worker of Chittagong, as president and professor Ahmad Hossain of Chittagong City College as convenor. Dr. muhammad shahidullah (1885-1969), Dr. muhammad enamul haq (1906-82) and some other intellectuals, educationists, political personalities, and social workers played leading roles in the site selection movement of 1962.
On 3 December 1965, Professor a r mallick (1918-97), as project Director, inaugurated the work of founding the Chittagong University with only three employees, one typewriter, and a photocopier in a house on Road 3 of Chittagong City's Nasirabad Housing Society. The Chittagong University Ordinance was promulgated on 25 September 1966 and Professor Mallick was given the charge of Vice Chancellor on that very day. He resumed charge as the first Vice Chancellor of the university on 9 October 1966.